Jet Lag & A Greek Word

Last night with some of our new friends.

It's 3 am and I'm up, jet-lagging.

Yesterday, was our first full day home. Chris and I spent the day unpacking, doing laundry, making new piles for the next adventure and vacillating between hyperventilating and fighting back tears. After unloading the summer's contents into the house, I needed to go to the grocery store. It took me three times as long as it normally would. I wandered around the store reacquainting myself with what we might need and where to find it. It was as if everything was out of focus. I stood there among the veggies twisting the lens fighting for a clear image. What does Lily like to eat again? What did Clara say she was craving?

Once we landed on U.S. soil, Landon called everything "America". "We're in America!" "I can't wait to go home to America (Billings)!" "Can we drink the water in America?"

The boys started school last week.

The kids could hardly wait for the vehicle to stop in our driveway. They tumbled out of the truck, ran to the door and fought one another as they crossed the threshold heading straight for their rooms. Lily and Clara emerged minutes later wearing their favorite sweats. Immediately, the boys grabbed the tub of Legos and proceeded to fill their floor with them as if it wasn't their room until it resembled a Lego bomb site. They would have been happy to bathe in them and sleep under them parent permitting.

And just like that, we're back and I'm back on my couch with my Bible and coffee while all is black outside and quiet inside. This morning, I went back into one of the stories we learned this summer. Two words struck me. So, why not ramble into the abyss until the house begins to stir?

Guest Room.

It's the part in Jesus' birth story when Luke says, "She wrapped him in cloths, placed him in a manger because there was no guest room available for him."

Lily after finishing her 90 minute final presentation. So proud.

To the Greek I go to ask the question-What do you mean, guest room?

What I found was togetherness. Community. This is where I giddy clap and Chris rolls his eyes, half smiling, while walking away because I've found yet another Biblical reason to have more people around us.

KATALUMA

It comes from the Greek word kataluo which means TO UNLOOSE. Here's the definition from one of my favorite books:
A lodging place or inn. It was so-called because of the ancient travelers who on arrival loosened their own belts or girdles, sandals, and the saddles or harnesses of their animals. In ancient Greek writings, the place of entertainment is called Kataluma where animals and burdens are loosened. It's also the name for the guest chamber.
This is what hit me: What if we all are a perpetually available Kataluma for all those who enter our lives?  What if we become the place where people unloose their burdens, their questions? Where they feel comfortable to take off their sandals, sit down, exhale, and unloose the burdens of life, the confusion, lies with which the enemy has tormented them.

A Kataluma unloosing that brings freedom. Freedom from bondage. Freedom from falsehood. Freedom into true identity, purpose, and power.

What if this became the theme in all our homes, all our time with people, all our days in marriage, parenting, and career?

And, what if we begin today? Open the door. Hang the vacancy sign and just wait to see what happens-who enters.

By the way, wouldn't it be a great name for a coffee shop?

I hear little feet ascending the stairs, thus ending my monologuing. Love you all. Happy Sabbath.

Running beside you,

Johanna (because everyone else is still sleeping)

P.S. My favorite book mentioned is The Complete Word Study Dictionary: New Testament by Spiros Zodhiates



Comments

  1. As your Mom, why not after you teach the native pastors the book of Luke, thereby sending God's word to multitudes to be saved...come home and open that coffee shop named Kataluma and reach the lost souls here? We all need a place like that!! MOM

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts